The Middlesex County Department of Housing and Community Development will award $5,000 in downpayment and closing cost assistance to income eligible first time homebuyers under the US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) HOME Investment Partnership Program.
Basic Program Requirements:
1. Applicants must be first time homebuyers and existing Middlesex County residents for a period of at
least one year.
2. Applicants must complete an in person, group homebuyer training course offered by a HUD
approved housing counseling agency. The class must be completed prior to closing.
3. Applicants are required to undergo budget review and individualized counseling as part of their
application process. Appointments and application documents can only be obtained through either of
the below HUD approved housing counseling agency:
- Puerto Rican Action Board - Housing Coalition Unit Phone (732) 249-9700
contact Dionne Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org
or Henry Gorman at email@example.com
- Housing Authority of Perth Amboy
Phone (732) 826-3110 ext. 631
contact Eugenia Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org
- PRAHD, Inc.
Phone (732) 638-2854
Contact Samarie Rivera at email@example.com
4. Applicants can only purchase a single family property. Eligible properties are detached homes,
townhouses, condos, and co-ops. The purchase price of the property cannot exceed four times the
certified income level of the household, with an overall maximum of $309,000.
5. Applicants must have a mortgage pre-approval issued within the past 2 months.
6. Applicant must purchase their single family housing in any Middlesex County municipality except New
Brunswick and Perth Amboy (which are not in the HUD jurisdiction for this particular program.)
7. Total household income can not exceed the following limits:
1-person - $51,250
2-person - $58,550
3-person - $65,850
4-person - $73,150
5-person - $79,050
6-person - $84,900
7-person - $90,750
8-person - $96,600
8. The property being purchased must pass HUD's Housing Quality Standards and must be certified free
of lead based paint hazards if built prior to 1978.
9. Applicant must be putting down at least 1 % of the purchase price from their own funds.
10. Any co-signers of the primary mortgage must also be occupiers of the property being purchased.
11. Assistance will be in the form of a deferred repayment mortgage, which doesn't require payment of
principal or interest by the homebuyers provided they own and live in the property for five years.
For additional information on the program, please contact Melissa Bellamy
Middlesex County Division of Housing, Community Development & Social Services by telephone at
(732) 745-3025 or by email at:
MIDDLESEX COUNTY BOARD OF CHOSEN FREEHOLDERS
Ronald G. Rios, Freeholder Director
Carol Bellante, Deputy Director
H. James Polos
Blanquita B. Valenti